FUNERAL AND EMBALMING TIMES
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum is free to use by all members. You can post to all of the boards and even add your company and services to the Suppliers and Services Board.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Embalming fluids. It's a matter of choice.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Embalming fluids. It's a matter of choice.  (Read 1426 times)
Anubis
Administrator

« on: »

Again I have been emailed regarding how regulations affect the choice of embalming fluids.

There are a number of issues and I will try and cover them here.

The various regulations have implications for suppliers and users and I have covered them under another posting.

Where there appears to be some ambiguity is what to use and why.

By far and away the chemical most used is formaldehyde but there are other products being suggested as alternatives and some of these contain phenol, methanol or PV Iodine.

Firstly any biocidal product has to be registered under the EU Biocides Directive and it is not true to say that by changing to a non-formaldehyde product a suggested alternative comes outside the scope of this new law or indeed the REACH regulations. Also phenol and methanol are harmful and toxic so if a supplier suggests a change to these products full consideration has to be taken with regard to the health and safety implications.

It would be perfectly true to say that a product based on PV Iodine is safer than one based on fomaldehyde, phenol or methanol but I am aware that there are issues in respect of longer term preservation.

From a users perspective it is a matter of control and even the most harmful of substances can be used safely and there is no reason why any legally marketed product should not be used where suitable.

Most important for users is that they establish the facts and make sure that suppliers and manufacturers give full disclosure and provide all the necessary information.

As long as it is legal it's then a matter of safety, performance and price.

« Last Edit: by Anubis » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

mikeholds

« Reply #1 on: »

The problem with people chosing fluids for use in embalming is that they seldom pay any attention to the possible long term effects to the user or the environment.
Substances such as Formaldehyde, phenol and methanol are dangerous substances which over time can have significant detrimental effects on the health of the user.  Of course, many users will never develop these effects, but some will.  The risks can be compared to the risk of traveling on public transport in winter when many people have a cold.  Some people on the bus will contract a cold and others will not.  It is a lottery.  The type of lottery that I personally would not care to take part in.

The business of dealing with death is changing in many ways and will, I hope continue to change into a modern and professional service.  People are afraid of change and try to deny the need.  If all of us thought the same way there would be no modern society as we know it.

To protect both people and the environment we, along with others must change the way we work in order to achieve the results we require.  No industry can afford to bury its' head in the sand and deny the march of progress.  As someone who originally came from another industry I find it sad that the fumeral industry is locked in the past and refuses to concede that change will happen.

Those of us who have real concerns about our fellow man and the world we live in must try and make the changes needed to ensure a safe and comfortable existence for our children and grandchildren.
« Last Edit: by Anubis » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
trasky

« Reply #2 on: »

What about the appearance of the deceased the one person we pledge our oath too.

What about funeral homes that have no refridgeration as certain fluid manufacturers state deceased must be refridgerated after "embalming"?

What about shipping cases, long term cases when family are the other side of the world "i embalmed a lady on jan 3rd and she has to stay till march 28th she is still perfect 1 month on.

SANITATION, RESTORATION, PRESERVATION

get all three of these right before any more whining on formaldehyde.

as for choosing an embalming fluid the word "embalming" needs to be looked up and followed remember why we do this job(if you are embalmers) and studied for hours on end to perform it, it is the deceased we a providing a service to and we should be proud as embalmers that we have that ability to be able to present the deceased in a presentable manner lets not get into a society where we are denying the families the ability to view there loved ones.

As for the comment turning into a professional service "YEAH RIGHT"

Formaldehyde will be here to stay ill put my house on it.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
Anubis
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: »

Have a look at the previous posting by Martin Trasky.

"Formeldehyde is here to stay, I'll put my house on it" is a very confident statement.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum